Hello readers. Today we are happy to announce the release of Kiwi.JS version 1.3.0, “Moriarty”. This release is named in honour of Brian Moriarty, designer of Loom, a fantastic fantasy game made by LucasArts in the 90s that inspired many of us here at the studio to embark on our game development journeys. “Moriarty” also sounds like you are talking to a cunning and dastardly villain, which we think makes it sound awesome.
This latest version of Kiwi brings new features to multiple areas of the engine. Instead of focusing on a particular area to upgrade we decided to add in a lot of niceties that we have always wanted, such as window focus/blur events, window visible status, passing parameters to State
preload methods, plus much more.
You can download Kiwi.JS v1.3.0 on github now.
- Window focus/blur events added to the Stage allowing users to easily pause/resume their game. (#23)
- The Animation Component will now look for sequences on their given texture atlas if told to play a sequence that can not be found. (#83)
TileMapLayershave been seperated into Orthogonal and Isometric classes to keep code more maintainable as well as more succinct. (#85)
- Additional file management methods added to the
- You can now pass parameters to a states
preloadmethod when switching states. (#104)
- You can now filter out messages to be logged out when using the
- Much better consistency for passing file types. (#156)
- @rydairegames added a method to get a tile when you know its index. (#160)
- ArcadePhysics now contains a
- Clocks now contains deltas. (#183)
- You can now assign floating point values when changing an
Animation‘s frame; they will be rounded to the nearest frame. (#186)
- Audio now contains an
- Context menu events have been added to the Mouse Input Manager. (#191)
- HUDWidgets can change the origin the position is based on. (#193)
- New get children by tag methods added to groups. (#195)
- Animation employs more rigorous methods which ensure the frameIndex is correct. (#184)
- Timer no longer hangs when the interval is set to 0ms. (#187)
setTimeoutnow deal with clock units. (#188)
- IconBar positioning fixed. (#192)
- Minor fix with the image loading when using the xhr + arraybuffer methods of loading.
- ArcadePhysics tile collision boxes made smaller to give better collisions.
Special thanks goes out to @rydairegames for providing the
getTileFromIndex method. We think it is extremely useful already.
If you have any questions, or would like to report a bug, please resist the urge to shout, “Curse you, Moriarty!” Instead, visit our website and make use of our growing community!